Tonight one of my buddies and I got a game going at the local gamestore. We played 1200 points, him Nurgle Marines and I Tau. Unfortunately we got capture and control, pitched battle. I placed my objective in the open and his was placed in cover. My list was as follows:
shas'el: mp, pr, mt
2x2 crisis: mp, pr, mt
2x6 fire warrior
2x1 devilfish: dp
2x1, 1x1 piranha: dp, ta, fb
2x1 hammerhead: dp, mt, rail, sms
his list was setup like so:
2x1 demon prince: mark, wings, warptime
2x7 plague marines: champ/fist, melta, icon
Due to my phone being low on batteries, I wasn't able to take pics, so I'll forgo the traditional batrep and focus on thoughts:
Deployment: He went first, and deployed center-map. Traditional fair, rhinos providing cover to Dprinces, Obliterators in cover on the objective. I deployed my hammerheads and crisis suits in the left-corner closest to my objective, with the flank covered by the piranha. While this did keep me out of range of everything but a couple Oblits, it did greatly hamper my firepower. Because Tau are mobile, not fast, I wasn't able to get out of his Dprinces way. If I move 12 inches, and he flies 12 and then runs d6 inches towards me, its only a matter of time. While I can't control the dice, I think a split firebase would have been the way to go. Also, I should have kept the fight focused around the other objective, so that my dfish and piranhas wouldn't have to struggle with cover.
|Awesome Pic. So Sad|
Next Time: The first error happened when I allowed the game to be dictated on the wrong side of the field. While Tau are fragile in CC, I need to be more aggressive dictating which side of the field is played. Also, I am thinking split firebases are the only way to go. His forces fragmented readily, setting me up where I needed to be shooting wise. However, I couldn't get my forces to where the angles weren't giving cover saves. I need to not hide quite so far behind terrain in deployment, and aggressively move so that every turn my full firepower comes down. If I split my firebase, he has to come after one or the other. This way, I can negate the advantage that rhinos generate by holding the middle of the field. Otherwise, I think the game went well. This is my first game in ages where I used more than 6 fire warriors or 1 devilfish, and that makes me happy. Also, first Tau game ever where I willingly reserved parts of my forces. And i must say, it turned out well. As a test game, I wont lie I would have preferred a win. But, the loss was close enough that I think the new strategies will stick around. Next time: A real batrep!
"while the lawyers clean up small details..."